Last year, I read a disturbing article on mothering and parenting. It still triggers and stirs me up emotionally.
There were a period of time when people would approach me with the question, “Are you one of THOSE mom?” after looking at my Asian face.
It felt like rubbing salt on my freshly wounded ego.
My School of Thought on Parenting
- Parents will set the parameters on how we show respect to everyone but kids are free to speak out their mind.
- Teach the difference between passion and curiosity.
- Authoritative approach on goal setting skills, self help skills, and character building lessons for long term success.
- Teach the value of family ties.
- Teach the importance of having emotional intelligence.
If these methods of parenting labels me of being a “Tiger Mom” or “Mama Bear,” then I will gladly accept and gladly wear the label on my chest.
But, Please…. in the future, I request, no prejudgment will be placed on me just by the color or shape of my face.